ARGH! 2.6.1 keeps crashing

xavier.bury at clearstream.com xavier.bury at clearstream.com
Wed Nov 2 03:55:00 EST 2005

Hi TJ

Are you using any plugins?

> I was only running the altPlugin collection at the
> time -- but none of these Transcript-based libraries
> should cause an 'illegal read' exception at OS level.

What OS? If windows, send me the eventviewer's event information, eventid,
etc... I can look this up for you.
Unfortunately, and as far as i know, the MC.exe engine doesn't leave a
trace of it's errors when it crashes
which doesn't help anyone find the bug...

Have you checked the session log file in the rev folders?

There you can find stuff like:

        executing internal 10:18:14 AM
Type    Chunk: can't find stack
Object  revBackScript
Line    if the mainStack of stack l is not among the lines of tStacksList
then put l & cr after tFinal
Hint    button id 1041 of card id 1002 of stack "D:/app/Revolution
2.6.1/components/global environment/revlibrary.rev"

(note this session log file is deleted at startup... - very very stupid
feature (bugzillaed) but good to know - a quick batch or
applet can save it for you before you launch rev).

Also this "could" be a hidden breakpoint's problem that is not entirely
resolved in 2.6.1 - which so far has not crashed my
session once! - Good job on that fix revTeam!

Check out the breakpoints Navigator on MonsieurX.com to find those and
clear them...
But that's a wild guess.

--

Last but not least, looking at the crashes in the bugzilla list, could
give you some hints. Seems there's a few crashes

If you want, send me a stack sampler that crashes automatically and i'll
confirm it ;)

cheers
Xavier

use-revolution-bounces at lists.runrev.com wrote on 02/11/2005 09:30:19:

> Chipp,
>  The acting funny part is just the random crash/vanishing stuff that I
> mentioned in my first post. I can't really replicate it, which is so
> frustrating. It happens someimes when editng a script or occasinally
when
> clicking on an object. The one thing I can say is that it always hapens
> after actively doing something like hitting return or clicking, never
while
> running a script or just sitting idle.
>   If say I'm typing in a script and hit return and it dies, then when I
> restart and edit the script in the same way everything will be fine.
Then in
> perhaps an hour or less something else will cause it to die. But I can
> toggle over to Photoshop and use it all day long without a crash, then
> toggle back to Rev, and its just a matter of time until "bye bye Rev"
>    The editor does act a little buggy from time to time, but then again
so
> did 2.6 Perfect example is that sometimes right clicking on an object im
> editing fails to cause the pop-up menu to appear. Or else the script
editor
> stops scrolling with the wheel until I double-right click the white
blank
> area in the script editor. But those are little things that have been
around
> as long as I've used Rev, so no big deal. The vanishing crash is a new
> 2.6.1thing (for me at least)
>
>  On 11/2/05, Chipp Walters <chipp at chipp.com> wrote:
> >
> > TJ,
> >
> > Can you describe a recipe for 'acting funny', so that we can check it
on
> > our systems?
> >

> > TJ Frame wrote:
> > > Thanks for the input guys.. but no luck. I reinstalled Rev and it
still
> > > keeps acting funny...

To make communications with Clearstream easier, Clearstream has
recently changed the email address format to conform with industry
standards. The new format is 'firstname.familyname at clearstream.com'.

Visit us at http://www.clearstream.com

IMPORTANT MESSAGE

Internet communications are not secure and therefore Clearstream
International does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of
this message.

legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or
any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is
prohibited and may be unlawful. Any views expressed in this e-mail are
those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically
states them to be the views of Clearstream International or of any of
its affiliates or subsidiaries.

END OF DISCLAIMER