clone card command

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 1 05:36:53 EST 2005

--- Pascal <phefti at club-internet.fr> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Trying to make my first stack...
>
> I want to create a new card that is  nearly the same
> as the one I am
> in, so I use the "clone this card" command in the
> script of a button.
> The difference is that I want that two of the fields
> of the new card
> are now empty.
>

> In my trial and errors I wrote the following script
> to the button
> "on mouseup
> 	clone this card
> 	select text of field "citation"
> 	delete selected text
> 	select text of field "commentaire"
> 	delete selected text
> end mouseup
>
> And I obtained an error. I corrected the script the
> following way
> "on mouseup
> 	clone this card
> 	select text of field "citation"
> 	delete
> 	select text of field "commentaire"
> 	delete
> end mouseup
>
> Seems to me it should work.
>
> But it is not, a strange phenomenom occurs :  when I
> click the button
> with the second version the card is cloned but the
> script in the button
> of the new card is the first version, although it is
> the second version
> in the departure card.
>
> Any explanation ?
>
> I'm using Rev2.6.1 trial version on a 10.3.9X eMAc.
>
> Oh by the way Rev keeps crashing with regularity so
> I have to use the
> "Forcer à quitter" (dont know the english version
> suppose "force to
> quit") item of the apple menu.
>
> Pascal

Hi Pascal,

To empty a field, you don't have to select the
contents and delete them: just use:
--
  put empty into field "foobar"
--

If you're trying to make a stack with multiple cards
that have the same basic controls but where the

Basically, you select all the controls that you want
to share, and group them (menu 'Object' > item 'Group
Selected') -- then open the 'Inspector' palette and
tick the checkbox 'Behave like a background'.

Now, when you create a new card from any card with
that background group on it, Rev will automagically
place this background group onto your new card.

Then have a look at your fields. If the 'sharedText'
property is true, then the same text will be displayed
on each card with that background.
If the same property is false, then the text of the
field differs depending on the current card. You can
control this property via the checkbox 'Share text' in
the 'Basic' panel of the 'Inspector' palette.

Labels and list fields will have the sharedText
property set to true by default, other fields will
have the sharedText property set to false by default.

As for the weird phenomenon and the frequent cra&shes,
I'm not sure what to answer you.

Hope this helped,

Jan Schenkel.

Quartam - Tools for Revolution