Broadband Optimizer for Revolution?

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Tue May 31 13:41:12 EDT 2005

RGould8 at aol.com wrote:

>Can anyone tell me if there's a way that I could replicate the Mac OS X
>"Broadband Optimizer" app, that's found at this link:
>
>http://www.enigmarelle.com/broadbandoptimizer.py
>
>It's an app the increases the size of the TCP/IP packets of Mac OS X.

Actually (according to the docs on BBO), it increases the size of the
TCP send and receive *window*s - not the size of the packets themselves;
it also tweaks some of the other parameters such as delayed ACK; there's
little controversy about the window size increases (except for machines
which are low on memory), but many TCP tuning experts would say that
delayed ACKs are a good thing, and this change is a bad idea. I'd
encourage you to read up on it before copying this particular change.
(google for "TCP delayed ack" and start reading ...)

You should be able to do the same thing using a series of command lines
(NB I don't have a Mac, so I can't test this first ... but it should
work). For instance, you can (again, according to the BBO docs) do

   sudo sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.sendspace=49152

so you should be able to (in Rev) do
    shell(" sudo sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.sendspace=49152")

(subject to any OS X restrictions ....)

>Reason I ask - - - I've been creating installers for an ISP using Revolution,
>and if I can mimic the behavior of this app, then I can include that
>functionality at the tail-end of the installer.   This would make the client very
>happy.

Note the BBO docs indicate certain things to check - what I'd do is (if
possible) take a "from the box" Mac OSX, do a
    sudo sysctl -a
store the result somewhere, then run BBO, then do the "sudo sysctl -a"
again, and then diff the two results to see what all has changed.