here is the CLOCKFACE script...coded in 3 MINUTES...17 LINES of CODE

Eric Chatonet eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com
Tue May 31 13:09:47 EDT 2005

Hi Dar,

Agreed a thousand times.
To pass code (we say that in french but not in english may be :-) may
be very valuable (and I often admire) but it is not enough...
Code is not a goal. It is only a means (often exciting).
Our final goal is an application that suits the needs of our clients
(or users) with a perfect (???) design, good ergonomics, 100% (???)
reliability, etc.
But I am not a programmer, I am a midwife ;-)

Best regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.

Le 31 mai 05 à 18:51, Dar Scott a écrit :

> Concerning the "coded in 3 minutes" in the subject.
>
> I wouldn't want anybody to be intimidated by this.
>
> I'm an experienced programmer.  My customers come back for more.
> Though others create in a different style, my design style might be
> a yardstick.
>
> I might code a similar solution in 3 minutes, maybe more.  But--for
> me--that might be after a period on pondering options:  ellipses at
> angle, images at angle, lines, single polygon, multiple polygons,
> overlapping animated gifs, rebuilding images....  And I might try
> some experiments or look at what others have done or see what
> images components are available and so on.  I might consider issues
> such as stopping the thing.  I might make some queries on this list.
>
> For me the coding is a small part of the design process.  For one
> customer after a couple hours of research I coded up a solution in
> seconds and my customer was very happy.
>
> For some folks the script editor is where they explore ideas,
> allowing the structure of code to help ideas come together.  They
> might write a few pieces that help in thinking about the rest.
> Code might move around.  I don't think we can call these folks slow
> coders; they are using scripts to work with ideas.
>
> Others need time, they don't get their best ideas on demand.  Some
> folks wake up in the morning with ideas or get them in the shower
> or in traffic.
>
> So, if making a clock takes hours staring at clocks or tinkering or
> chatting with others or whatever, that is OK.  We have different
> styles and we are all learning and growing.  Though there might be
> some who go from challenge to script in 3 minutes, for most of us
> mere mortals the total time to design is longer.
>
> Dar

So Smart Software

Plugins, tutorials and more on our website
Phone        33 (0)1 43 31 77 62
Mobile        33 (0)6 20 74 50 86