Coding challenge?

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Mon May 30 22:12:26 EDT 2005

Bjoernke,

I think that this could be very fun!!! As for prize, I've got one copy
of "Revolution: Software on the speed of thought by Dan Shaffer" left,
I would gladly give this backup copy (owning more then one copy of a
given book is smart sometimes) as prize for a competition, also I offer
space to host a webpage on the competition and stuff like that on my
site wecode.org.

I think a coding competition might go like this:

* Have two categories: Newbie and Advanced.
* We should pose a problem to each categorie and collect the
competitor's stacks.
* The voting might be done by a board plus popular voting on the
website (like popular vote = 10% of the final grade)

one nice chalenge is gaming, like making a program to play tic tac toe
using text files, one program receives a text file with the board at a
given time and must output his moves. This way you can use unix pipes
or plain files to match one stack agains the other. This is a nice
coding competition. Tic Tac Toe is not the best option since it's very
easy to code a solution that will always Tie but I think that something
along this lines might be fun.

I know  that Dar Scott looks into ICFP coding compos, those
competitions are a nice and should provide inspiration for us to create
a coding compo. Maybe we could create a map, like a labirynth put some
jewels in it and people should make routines to crawl the maze and
collect the stones, the best one wins (that is trickier). The Doctor
Eccos monthly article on the Doctor Dobbs magazine also give many
puzzles that one might solve coding.

Of course this is about coding and we know that there's more to Rev
then just coding. Another take could be mini apps, like create a stack
that would pick a arbitrary number of JPEGs inside a folder and build a
webalbumn, judges and people would grade the apps according to criteria
based on easy to use, features, coding and the like.

No matter the solution we choose, I think that all the entries should
be released in Creative Commons license and that each participant
should write a post-mortem about his entry, this could become a usefull
resource of code snipets and insights.

I would be happy to help in making this competition real (but this way
I won't be able to join it damn it!)

... and the most important thing? what is the name of the competition?
RevCompo? The Edimburg Challenge? RevCodeMayhem?

cheers
andre

On May 30, 2005, at 5:47 PM, Bjšrnke von Gierke wrote:

> Hey Revoluters
>
> The last event on Chatrev was a big success, and Malte suggested a
> coding challenge to increase the visibility of Chatrev even further.
> So my question would be what coding challenge would you do? Does it
> need a prize? Any thoughts?
>
> greetings
> Bjoernke
>
> --