Modifying Tactile Media's bouncer.rev script

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Sat May 28 04:15:43 EDT 2005

Recently, DaveyJJ  wrote:

> Has anyone ever tried to, or have the slightest clue as to how to,
> modify the excellent Tactilemedia bouncer.rev stack to actually have
> the little "marbles" collide (even semi-realistically) with one
> another or other objects in the window? My seve year old wants to
> know and I have to admit I haven't been able to do it.

Well, the bouncer stack isn't really excellent (in fact I noticed some
unnecessary stuff in the scripts -- shame on me) but in gratitude for your
kind words, it has been rewritten to accommodate your request for simple
collision detection.  Run the following in your message box (not a Web
link):

 go url "http://www.tactilemedia.com/tmpanel.rev"

...click the Demo Stacks link at the top of the panel, and then click the
Bouncer2 link.  The demo stack now includes a central block from which the
balls bounce off, and the balls now react to eachother using a simple method
of collision detection.  Perhaps the script is slightly more intelligible
now.

There is a small anomaly present in the collision detection method in that
the balls will intermittently "kiss and linger" on the central obstacle or
eachother for brief time. This is probably due to the script repeatedly
detecting a collision point within an obstacle, so the balls are quickly
switching direction back and forth.  Kind of amusing to watch actually.

Of course, this not an elaborate collision detection routine -- for that,
you'd have to see Jim Hurley's Nine Ball:

 go url "http://home.infostations.net/jhurley/NineBallWithSpin.rev"

Thanks & Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director