Stack file size

Ralph R. Forehand ralf at dol.net
Thu May 26 16:44:24 EDT 2005

>From: Lars Brehmer <larsbrehmer at mac.com>
>Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 14:46:43 +0300
>To: use-revolution at lists.runrev.com
>Subject: Re: Stack file size
><snip>

>She has a stack of ? 2000 cards. The program and the data are not separated.
>If I dream up an improvement to the program (menus instead of buttons, for
>example), how do I update her? If her data were in a separate entity, no
>problem - I'd simply send her a new standalone, and it would open and read
>her records. All I can think of at the moment is that she sends me her
>current stack, I try to remember exactly what changes I have made in the
>scripting, the properties of objects etc, put all those in, compile the
>result and send it back to her. In the meantime (could be a long time) she
>can't make any additions to her address book, or we're back to Go again.

Hmmm...,

Forgive me if I oversimplify your problem solution but;

Why not do it utilizing a text file for the X-fer - that is modify her HC stack to export her records into a text file (2000 address type records shouldn't be a problem?) in a pre-determined format designed by you. Then when your new Rev. stack is ready (with an "Import" button") to import her records from the text file generated by her current HyperCard stack. Thus she would do the exchange with a simple step-by-step procedure.

If any hitches come up she can still continue using her HC stack until the hitches are worked out.

Trust the above is helpful and GOOD LUCK, :-))

Ralph