Stack file size

Eric Chatonet eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com
Thu May 26 08:29:19 EDT 2005

Hi Lars,

May be, you could consider another benefit of "one card" databases
where "records" are stored in a different file (an independant stack,
a tex file or some "real" database): this way allows to share
contents very easily (light files), have as many files as months,
years, classrooms, etc., switch between them within the same "shell"
stack (that can be well designed and heavy :-)
Just my 2 cents.

Le 26 mai 05 à 13:46, Lars Brehmer a écrit :

> Thanks for the suggestions and tips!  Maybe I misunderstand the
> structure of Rev stacks, but first of all, my stacks work perfectly
> and lightning fast - I just thought it was interesting that the
> file sizes got so large, but now that they are slimmed way down and
> i know how to keep it that way, I am an extremely happy camper.
>
> Again, though, unless I misunderstand the structure of such stacks,
> I really don't see much of a difference between your two (more
> advanced) methods and my simple one.  I mean if every single object
> on the cards is in the background, doesn't this mean that there is
> basically one card and all the hundreds and thousands of others are
> nothing more than a collection of field contents and custom
> properties?  And isn't this comparable to a collection of database
> records?  To be honest, I shy away from using the database solution
> for 2 reasons - one, I lack the knoweldge and skills to implement
> it, and two, I see on the RevList people with far more skills than
> I having all kinds of problems with databases every day, which
> makes me even more hesitant.  True, as I learned in the discussion
> a week or so ago, custom properties are faster than fields (that's
> why I changed as many as possible to custom props), and Signe
> Marie's project apparenetly uses all custom properties and no
> fields, as long as my thing functions as well and as fast as it
> does, I think I'll stick to it just because it works and I
> understand it.  Thanks for the suggestions, though, I will
> certainly examine them closely sometime down the road!

Best regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.
So Smart Software

Plugins, tutorials and more on our website
Phone        33 (0)1 43 31 77 62
Mobile        33 (0)6 20 74 50 86