VideoGrabber on Windows XP

Thomas McGrath III 3mcgrath at adelphia.net
Wed May 25 14:41:55 EDT 2005

Synopsis is a windows application with no Mac or Unix components but
you may not need them. Maybe you could look at Max 4.5 from Cycling 74
which also has a graphical aspect to it but is at least available on
Mac and Windows. Also it is used to control Teleo objects to control
the outside world via computer commands. It is very good.

Once you reach the limits that either of those programs has you can
come back to use Revolution for it's full potential. After all if all
you want to do is build a clock face then why learn any code but if you
want to use that clock in a program where you have full control over
how it works instead of just how the program designers think it should
then you can use Revolution.

But to be honest reading the manual and learning code are not the same
thing and to include the videoplayer component is a read the manual
thing that would happen just the same in Synopsis as well as in Max
4.5. It is not a code issue. In Synopsis in order to use the Windows
DLLs you will still need to understand the RULES in how to use them and
when and where.

I'd say you were just getting frustrated with Rev and you should hang
in there it is not as difficult as it seems. Ask questions here on the
list. Download sample stacks. See how others have done it. You may just
find what you need and find you end up loving it.

2 cents

HTH

Tom