Icons

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed May 25 00:39:07 EDT 2005

On 5/24/05 1:29 PM, John Dixon wrote:

> Using Toast and the ISO 9660 settings I have burnt a CD... The CD contains
> the .app standalone as well as the .exe standalone... However, when I open
> the CD, the icon that was attached is replaced by the generic Mac
> application icon...

Do you mean the Mac icon doesn't show (as opposed to the PC icon)? Does
it show in the Finder? In all views? If so, then you have that part working.

Your CD actually may be okay; sometimes if I immediately insert the CD
into the same Mac that burned it, it doesn't look right, but if I mount
it on a different Mac that hasn't seen the CD before, it does. If you
have another Mac, check that.

If that isn't the problem, Toast had some issues with OS X icons, if I
remember right, especially in older versions. I think there is some info
on their site about it. One thing you can try is to force a Finder
update by leaving the folder containing your source app open on the
desktop and then logging out. Log back in and try Toast again. Check
their online tech support database too; if your icon shows okay in
Finder but not on the CD, I think it's a Toast glitch.

I've seen this problem too, but it has always been when I've burned an
OS 9 app using Toast in OS X. The OS X icons seem to work okay.

> Can someone who has experience of attaching icons to rev standalones please
> step in and save my sanity ?!*@

Only to say that we have all been there...it gets better after a while.
:) If Finder is consistently showing your icons in all views, attaching
the icon isn't the problem. It's Toast.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com