Infinite-precision arithmetic

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Tue May 24 16:21:45 EDT 2005

On May 24, 2005, at 1:49 PM, Cubist at aol.com wrote:

>> Wouldn't it be easier to interface to an existing bigint library?
>    The whole point of what I'm doing with this is two-fold: (a) To
> have a
> suite of functions with truly *infinite* precision -- not 15 places,
> not 45
> places, but *as many places as you want or need* -- and

I know what you mean by *infinite*, that is, *as many places as you
want or need* assuming you have the RAM and the time.  However, I like
the term "indefinite" better.  Maybe an expert can advise us of a
better term such as "arbitrary precision".

There are some libraries with indefinite precision arithmetic.

> (b) to have these functions
> exist as pure, native Transcript.

That is an exciting goal.

Don't worry about a slow divide, but your multiply should be based on
the best method you can find if you are going to do powers or trig or
other interesting functions.

Every Christmas I bring up enhanced arithmetic, but so far it seems
only you, Andre and I have shown any interest.

Dar