words in Transcript

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon May 23 14:41:05 EDT 2005

Melitón Cardona Torres wrote:
> You have the following in field X:
>
> Then I met her and she told me "How are you?, my dear friend"
>
> 9 words in Transcript, 14 in real life
>
> This means, among others, that
>
> put "you" is among the words of fld X yields ... false
>
> Sorry to insist; I know that word in Transcript designates a
> space-delimited or quoted string as part of a chunk expression, but this
> goes against syntaxis and causes many inconvenients

This is well known, but is not Rev's decision.  The definition of a
"word" as implemented in Rev's HyperTalk dialect, Transcript, was
defined by Apple many years ago.

I haven't heard Apple's rationale on that, and it would be interesting
to know what they were thinking.

But in the here and now this convention was established more than 15
years ago by a company far bigger than RunRev, and at this late stage it
would cause widespread serious compatibiliy issues to change it.

If you feel strongly about this you can request a rationale and provide
additional feedback to Apple at:

<http://www.apple.com/support/feedback/>

--
  Richard Gaskin