"convert" questions

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Mon May 23 10:23:44 EDT 2005

Hi Brad,

> Hi,
>
> I'm a new user but not new to card-based scripting (Hypercard in
> '87). I'm a professional multimedia developer with numerous
> interactive CDs authored in Director. I can't stand Director (and
> Macromedia's attitude in general) so I'm planning to do my next
> project in RR. I've got a few questions:

a very wise decision :-)

> 1) I want to populate a pulldown menu with choices from the user's
> font menu. I'm sure there's a one-line command to do this (that's
> what I love about RR) but I can't find it.

"the fontnames" :-)

on preopencard
   put the fontnames into btn "my font menu"
end preopencard

> 2) I'd like to be able to include pre-build animations in my
> program. RR supports Flash swf through QuickTime, but I've had
> limited success. Has anyone documented the limitations on this
> capability?

QT only supports SWF files made with Flash >= version 5.
And only half-heartedly :-/

> Is it possible to send variables between RR and a SWF file?

Sorry, no idea.

> Do plain-vanilla (no movie clips) timeline-based animations play
> reliably in RR?

Test, test, test!

> 3) If SWF animations don't work, is there another way to
> incorporate vector-based animation built in another program?

I would recommend to use Chipp's wonderful "altBrowser" external,
which lets you display a
internet browser window on your card, which can play ALL SWF files
then :-)

Check this url:
http://www.altuit.com/webs/altuit2/altBrowserCover/default.htm

> Has anybody used LiveStage to produce animations for import into RR?

Livestage output MOV files, but not all interactivity will be
accesible within Rev...

Any comments, Trevor? ;-)

> 4) Does RR or any 3rd party plug-in enable font embedding?
> Alternatively, how difficult is it to include a freeware Unicode
> font through an RR installer?

If just copying the font to the correct folder on the users HD will
be enough, then it is not difficult :-)

> I'm looking forward to developing in RR, as it's just so much
> easier to work with than anything else I've used. TIA for your help.
>
> Brad

Hope that helps...

Best from germany

Klaus Major