"convert" questions

Brad Borch brad at activadesign.com
Mon May 23 10:03:05 EDT 2005

Hi,

I'm a new user but not new to card-based scripting (Hypercard in '87).
I'm a professional multimedia developer with numerous interactive CDs
authored in Director. I can't stand Director (and Macromedia's attitude
in general) so I'm planning to do my next project in RR. I've got a few
questions:

1) I want to populate a pulldown menu with choices from the user's font
menu. I'm sure there's a one-line command to do this (that's what I love
about RR) but I can't find it.

2) I'd like to be able to include pre-build animations in my program. RR
supports Flash swf through QuickTime, but I've had limited success. Has
anyone documented the limitations on this capability? Is it possible to
send variables between RR and a SWF file? Do plain-vanilla (no movie
clips) timeline-based animations play reliably in RR?

3) If SWF animations don't work, is there another way to incorporate
vector-based animation built in another program? Has anybody used
LiveStage to produce animations for import into RR?

4) Does RR or any 3rd party plug-in enable font embedding?
Alternatively, how difficult is it to include a freeware Unicode font
through an RR installer?

I'm looking forward to developing in RR, as it's just so much easier to
work with than anything else I've used. TIA for your help.

Brad