OT: A good book on Applescript?

graham samuel graham.samuel at wanadoo.fr
Mon May 23 03:36:50 EDT 2005

On Sun, 22 May 2005 14:31:33 +0100, Mark Smith <mark at maseurope.net>
wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good book on Applescript?
>
> Despite 10years+ experience with xTalks, I still find Applescript
> utterly impenetrable - Apples' own documentation manages to be so
> verbose and yet so abstract as to make the often-complained about
> (sometimes by me) Rev docs look brilliant. In particular, reading the
> dictionaries of applications, I feel like a 13th century peasant
> attempting to understand a technical description of a particle
> accelerator...

I can't help, only sympathise, since I feel exactly the same. I've got
'AppleScript in a Nutshell' but it isn't (and doesn't claim to be) an
introduction. There seems to me something strangely arbitrary about
AppleScript, so that it's hard to build up an understanding by logical
inference from what you know already. And the first thing I tried to do
(iterating through a group of files to carry out a conversion) seemed
amazingly difficult - well, to me - and I got stuck and abandoned it. I
guess I should try 'AppleScript for dummies' too. I'd be interested to
hear how you get on.

Graham