Trouble connecting to MySQL

Terry Judd tsj at unimelb.edu.au
Mon May 23 00:01:20 EDT 2005

> From: Sarah Reichelt <sarahr at genesearch.com.au>
> Date: 23 May 2005 1:07:29 PM
> To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
> Subject: Re: Trouble connecting to MySQL
>

>> -- write sessional data to ATS database
>> put revOpenDatabase("MySQL","localhost","ATS",<username
>> here>,<password here>) into pMysql
>> put "INSERT INTO inter
>> VALUES(pSession,pInit,pUser,pAddress,pLocation,tData)" into
>> tStatement
>> revExecuteSQL
>> pMysql,tStatement,"pSession","pInit","pUser","pAddress","pLocation","t
>> Data"
>>
>> ..problem is that it falls at the first hurdle (ie revOpenDatabase)
>> which returns the following error message:
>>
>> 'Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server;
>> consider upgrading MySQL client'
>>
>> Meaning what? That the rev db library is out of date? I'm running
>> MySQL server version 4.1.11-standard on OSX.3
>>

> Hi Terry,
>
> A few weeks ago, Dave Cragg suggested a way around this problem:
>
>> I got round this by resetting the user passwords on the newer server
>> using the OLD_PASSWORD function.
>>
>>      SET PASSWORD FOR 'some_user'@'some_host' =
>> OLD_PASSWORD('mypass');
>>
> HTH,

Does it what! Interestingly, the same 'problem' seem to be stopping me
connecting to the server using a MySQL client GUI (CocoaMySQL) whereas
another client (Navicat) worked no problem.

Much appreciated Sarah and Dave,

Terry...

Dr Terry Judd
Lecturer in Educational Technology (Design)
Biomedical Multimedia Unit
Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry & Health Sciences
The University of Melbourne
Parkville VIC 3052
AUSTRALIA