Trouble connecting to MySQL

Terry Judd tsj at unimelb.edu.au
Sun May 22 22:27:25 EDT 2005

The time has come where I've had to start working with a backend
database on one of my projects. Anyway, I've installed MySQL on my
desktop for testing purposes and have set up a database with a couple
of tables (reading a MySQL book as I go). Seems to work fine from the
command line (although I'm stuck as 'root' user for the moment). So...
I add some code to my rev stack to add data to my database which looks
something like...

put revXMLText(pLogTree,"/") into tData
-- write sessional data to ATS database
put revOpenDatabase("MySQL","localhost","ATS",<username here>,<password
here>) into pMysql
put "INSERT INTO inter
VALUES(pSession,pInit,pUser,pAddress,pLocation,tData)" into tStatement
revExecuteSQL
pMysql,tStatement,"pSession","pInit","pUser","pAddress","pLocation","tDa
ta"

...problem is that it falls at the first hurdle (ie revOpenDatabase)
which returns the following error message:

'Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server;
consider upgrading MySQL client'

Meaning what? That the rev db library is out of date? I'm running MySQL
server version 4.1.11-standard on OSX.3

TIA,

Terry...