popup in selected text in unlocked field

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION at barncard.com
Fri May 20 14:51:39 EDT 2005

Mister X, Eric, thanks for your help - Eric is right, your code won't
work on MacOS. There are forces at work here fighting me with some
'automatic' behavior in regard to the selection in a field. One thing
it's trying to do is to select a single word, then it hangs on to
that selection.

My major complaint about OSX is the way the simple text editing
functions (probably at the firmware level) have radically changed,
for the worse since OS9. It takes a lot more unneeded clicking (to
edit a filename, for instance) to get around these multiple 'helpful'
behaviors in a field. And it used to be far easier doing tricks with
the selection in a script. Is there a way to turn off that
auto-stuff, for just a millisecond?

sqb