Deleting a folder doesn't work!!!

MisterX b.xavier at internet.lu
Thu May 19 16:20:12 EDT 2005

Hey Klaus

> Hi Xavier,
>
> > Klaus,
> >
> > I tried but there's not one single command that will do delete both
> > files and folders in the folder (i can't delete the folder
> because of
> > the extensive properties it has.)
> >
> > Except for this ugly thing...
> >
> > net use x: /d
> > net use x: \\bruegel\transfer$
>
> Pieter Bruegel?
> Junior or senior? ;-)

uh, file Server Bruegel - we use painter names for servers in one of our
environments but dont always have the time to read on them though - but it's
an idea for an ebook... Too many environments and things going on already
though. Hopefully i can scriptit ;)

> ah, sorry, i thought you wnated to delete that complete
> folder and not only its complete content...

That would have been too easy ;)
Even filtering selectively the kind(s) of file to be deletes is easy too.
del /? will tell you.

But understanding the "finesse" of for /? is another thing! I would have
prefered to just do

set the directory to \\bruegel\transfer
put the folders & cr & the files in folderlist
repeat for each thisfolder in folderlist
  delete folder thisfolder

Now, that would conquer a lot of NT, SQL, SUN administrators in my
company... Well, maybe if I could show them how easy it is...
If that convinces people in my "small enterprise company", imagine what it
could do elsewhere... Why is the word "winAPI" so in demand anyway?

cheers
Xav