WAY OT: Apple V Apple. Legal lunacy?

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Tue May 17 16:46:36 EDT 2005

I learned some valuable lessons at my last job.

1) Businesspeople should draw up the terms of an agreement.

Typically people try and get lawyers involved at first. This is wrong.
When you hear someone say, "I'll have my lawyer draw up a contract", you
should respond, "Let's first iron-out this deal between ourselves so we
know what it is we're agreeing to." Any good businessperson worth
his/her salt should be able to work out a term sheet w/out a lawyer
involved.

Send back and forth plain english terms so that it's clear to all
involved not only the terms, but also the intentions of the parties.
Remember: Try to keep lawyers out at this stage. Create a plain numbered
list of the terms and document it in a non-binding letter of agreement.

2) Have a lawyer (preferably your lawyer) draw up the terms in legalese
BUT, (this is important) the lawyer should *never* add anything
substantial to the contract that DID NOT exist in the original term
sheet. Doing this is the same as 'negotiating in bad faith' and should
be pointed out *immediately* to the other businessperson.

IOW, businesspeople draw up terms, lawyers only paper the deal. If their
lawyers try to become negotiators, then I respond with extreme dismay to
my counterpart as this is less than professional. If their lawyers
respond in some way as to force an issue, then go back to the term sheet
with the original parties and negotiate it there-- without lawyers.

Here's the reason why. Lawyers are professionals in understanding law
and businesspeople are not. To directly negotiate with a lawyer and the
legal words in a contract is putting yourself at an extreme disadvantage
as there are subtle wordings which mean somethiing entirely different to
a judge than what you may think.

If there's ever an issue with the contract, you can always go back to
the term sheet and say, "this is what we agreed to, not what you have
here." Also, the 'spirit' of the term sheet can be reflected in the
document.

3) Assuming a term sheet is 'in play,' a good lawyer will never 'sour
the deal.' A lawyers job is to protect his client, but also to not kill
an existing business opportunity. If you find a lawyer who consistently
'kills deals', then fire him/her and find one who can help you close
deals. This is true for Sales personnel, and others as well.

These were valuable lessons learned as CEO. They helped us negotiate
successfully many very large projects at Human Code.

best,
Chipp