WAY OT: Apple V Apple. Legal lunacy?

Jeffrey Reynolds jeff at siphonophore.com
Tue May 17 12:10:10 EDT 2005

Alan,

I wish you were here in the states to use! I agree on all your points,
expect them of council, and wish my experiences followed these
conditions better. I also agree that the reason these large deal
contracts end up in lawsuits so much is from the business practice to
always feel like you have the upper hand and the other guys is getting
the short end. I can see how this leads to language and logic that can
be severely flawed. This is more a reflection of the business process
than the legal profession in this case.

I am sorry if I generalized too much in my post, that's not fair. It
was a representation of the 10 or so odd times I have had to develop
contracts with clients' or employers' for projects for them to third
parties for work and rights agreements. It was extremely frustrating
experience every time since the simple clear language we started with
got turned into pages of unreadable and non-understandable text. When I
would question them about the changes, half the time they would end up
saying they could not give a clear answer. These were for some very
straight forward services or photo rights and such. When I would ask
why we needed so much non understandable language, they would just
reply it was standard to do so and not professional to not do so. I
would also get the reply that it was unprofessional to use plain
language in the contract.

All this was a real mess every time since something that should have
taken a very short time ended up sometimes taking weeks to get done and
cost a lot of money. Even when I would send in simple boilerplate
contracts they would balloon. The worst was that the resulting
contracts would really scare the potential vendors and media folks. A
few times we lost potential folks at this stage and a few media folks
bumped up their licensing fees at this point in the deal... Since many
of these were small contracts it was hard for the other parties to
afford to pass it by council for review. It also really ballooned the
costs on some simple tasks for the clients.

Since I was working on the clients' or employers' behalf they would
usually end up just saying do what the lawyer advises. I didnt hire the
lawyers, but they were all reputable and small to large firms that do
this stuff all day long. A couple of time I was able to simplify the
photo rights agreements when we had many photographers balk at the
lengthy contract that came from the lawyers.

I also know what it is like to be on the receiving end of this kind of
contract writing. One of my clients is a very very large health care
provider. The contract I got from them to work on a patient education
cdrom was about 45 pages... It was virtually unreadable language. I
almost just signed it and sent it in, but decided to stick it out and
carefully go through it and create a flow chart to follow the logic.
While doing this I found the clauses that had me indemnifying them for
all the content validity in the product that they were creating! This
was medical information developed by physicians and they wanted me to
legally take responsibility for what the content said! There was no
reciprocal indemnification for me at all. Even after explaining that
they were creating the content their lawyers still wanted me to take
responsibility for content validity. It took a couple weeks and three
of their lawyers to get the clause removed that had me indemnifying
them for the content and just get me simple reciprocal indemnification
since if they did ever make a mistake in the content I might get caught
up in any lawsuits being the producer on the cdrom. All I wanted was an
even, fair sharing of responsibilities.

I could never get a good reason from the lawyers in any of these cases
why having a very simple clear contract that fairly spelled out what
each side was responsible for, deadlines, and a few honest
contingencies. In every other business transaction I have done that we
have drafted documents like this for legally binding contracts and it
has worked swimmingly!

Perhaps I just dont do business in the regular fashion. I tend to just
want a fair deal that both sides walk away from feeling like they were
happy and want to do a deal again soon. Maybe this is why I never
gotten rich in business, but had a good time, made a fair wage, and am
on good terms with all my clients...

We have had several attempts at plain language contract reform in the
US, but every attempt has failed. It is probably because it would gum
up the works of how things have come to be done.

Sorry for the rant, it is just the frustration I have had with
contracts in the last 10-15 years doing multimedia work. i have not had
great luck dealing with lawyers in contract matters. I hope my
experience is unique and most of the time these things go smoother for
other folks.

cheers

Jeffrey Reynolds

On May 16, 2005, at 2:35 PM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com