UI challenge: icon menu

Eric Chatonet eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com
Tue May 17 08:37:56 EDT 2005

Hi Richard,

You might separate the menu from the button using an icon button and
a popUp menu hidden button.
At the end of the handler in the icon button which call the menu:

   put the bottomLeft of me into tLoc
   if the platform = "MacOS" then add 2 to item 2 of tLoc
   else subtract 2 from item 2 of tLoc
   popUp btn "MyMMenu" at tLoc

If I understood correctly your problem ;-)

Le 17 mai 05 à 14:06, Richard Gaskin a écrit :

> While many developers have been doing this for years, the OS X HIG
> now officially sanctions using icon buttons as pull-down menus
> within a window -- you can see this in action with the Finder's
> Tools menu.
>
> I can live with the look of a rectangle button over the roundRect
> look normally used by OS X for such things, but getting the
> behavior right has proven a bit of a challenge.
>
> If I set the menutype of the button to pullDown I get the behavior
> but with no hilite, unless I set the backgroundColor of the button
> then it works well but doesn't have the native gradient appearance.

Best regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.
So Smart Software

Plugins, tutorials and more on our website
Phone        33 (0)1 43 31 77 62
Mobile        33 (0)6 20 74 50 86