Do Rev CGI Suffer Performance HIts?

jbv jbv.silences at Club-Internet.fr
Mon May 16 13:11:55 EDT 2005

Dan,

> True or myth? Anyone have any experience with moderately high
> transaction rates using Rev CGI?

It depends on what you mean by "moderately high transaction rate"...

As for the few sites I've developped around Rev cgi, the one with
the "highest" transaction rate was an event in spring 2003 which
lasted 15 days, and got 45,000 visitors for 2,500,000 pages viewed.
Actually, the cgi engine was MC 2.4, but I guess the situation can
be considerd as similar to using Rev 2.5.

What I love about using Rev cgi is the fact that when specific client
apps are needed (to manage / update the content of the website for
instance), it is easily done with Rev, and furthermore both client app
& cgi scripts are written in the same language, and productivity /
maintenance-wise this is unvaluable...

In the above mentioned website, a couple of ppl were in the middle
of the desert with a client app (made with MC) running on a laptop
hooked to a cellular phone & satellite connection, and were updating
the content of several pages of the site several times a day...
Besides, GPS data were received by email every 15 min and a cgi
script was used to update complex HTML framesets with maps of
the desert and positions of cars... everything ran flawlessly (except
when the company in charge of receiving / transmitting GPS data
to our server was facing unexpected & unexplained gaps in data
streams)...
The same ppl with the same laptop & satellite connection were
also downloading GPS data from our server via another small
client app (also made with MC) that updated & displayed the same
maps & positions on the laptop than on the website.

But it looks like much higher transaction rates can be achieved :
Pierre Sahores has posted several explanations about what he's
done around Rev cgi. You should contact him or chack the archives...
JB