altSQLite versus Valentina for Rev

Joel Guillod joel.guillod at net2000.ch
Mon May 16 09:51:29 EDT 2005

Russlan,

What a good opportunity to explain you some of the reasons why you
probably miss so many users. My own experience of Valentina has been a
failure because I have never been able to easily operate Valentina with
Hypercard/Supercard and more recently with Revolution. Dont reply that
I should not be an adequate programer, just search the Rev archives to
understand that many  Revolutionados have made attempts to use
Valentina with many difficulties and switched to another solution.

Also be aware that altSQLite has been released with the following
advantages among others:
- many altPlugins are provided for free and has been proven very
usefull and well polished;
- the altSQLite Demo stack is very well designed and just ready to use
sample: you open it, it just works and you can see the sample scripts;
- affordable price;
- SQLite is widely recognized by many other developers: see PHP for a
single instance, not to say the MacOSX Tiger integration.
- last but not least: speed development time. I spend many days failing
to deal with Valentina user guides where I have been able to create a
DB and to write error free scripts with altSQLite in just minutes.

Yet there is a problem with altSqlite under MacOSX 10.3.9 which crashes
Revolution in some circonstances but I am confident that Chipp/Altuit
will fix that soon. As Revolution developers we know that he is very
active and reactive. You have proven the opposite. There was (is? I
didn't check recently) no Revolution sample stack for Valentina. Also
some arguments in favor of Valentina are not so important for most of
our applications:
- speed is most often an issue when users have large databases which is
not the case for most of us;
- price can be an issue: I am not sure that many of us are selling
their applications to valuate Valentina more than the free Postgres or
MySQL DBMS;
- Those DBMS are supported by many developers and we dont know what
would happen to Valentina I you disappear tomorrow. SQLite source code
is available and free. What a warranty for our data;
- multiusers capability require another process to execute Valentina
and those DBMS. I dont see any advantages of one over the others if
you'd like to release an easy installation to users.

My last comment is that competition is good! As developers we really
thank Altuit to have written the SQLite plugin because this finally
forces Paradigma Software Inc to seriously watch for the Revolution
developers to give them the consideration and support they actually
missed until today. BUT be aware that the time is very short not to
loose the market today! Dont do war, build tools which prooves you make
the developers' life easier!

Regards,

JG