XML and Unicode?

Curtis Ford cford at gwm.sc.edu
Tue May 10 14:47:07 EDT 2005

I've been studying the XML demo kindly provided by Sarah Reichelt - a
big thanks to Sarah, it's a great resource! A few newbie-ish questions:

Can Unicode be used with the XML commands? I've had success reading in
my own XML external text files with the demo, but using UTF 16 encoding
seems troublesome.

I've set the font of the field "XMLText" to Lucida Grande, and in the
script for the "Read from file" button I tried replacing

put tChild after fld "XMLtext"
   with
set the UnicodeText of fld "XMLtext" to tChild

.. but what should have been Russian displayed as Chinese with no line
breaks.

Is there something else I'd need to do when reading the data in, or am
I missing something else? Thanks for any suggestions!

-Curt

Dr. Curtis Ford
Instructor of Russian and Linguistics
Dept. of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures
University of South Carolina
cford at sc.edu