Be Cautious About MySQL Licensing (was Re: Databasesuggestions?)

jbv jbv.silences at Club-Internet.fr
Mon May 16 05:17:07 EDT 2005

Ruslan Zasukhin a *crit :

> --------------------------------
> About Linux.
>
> We going port Valentina to Linux. Soon. No doubt.
> But I wonder and want ask developers on this list.
> Does Linux bring you real sales ?

if you guys allow me to enter your conversation, and
if you allow me to share my own experience, I'd like
to say that I love to use Rev as a cgi engine, and try
to promote it in every commercial project I undertake.
I also always work with Linux servers.
A DB is almost always necessary, but so far I had to
stick to mySQL because :
- it's almost impossible to find anyone with postgreSQL
skills in my neighborhood
- Valentina isn't available for Linux yet...

I agree that the use of Rev as cgi engine isn't the most
widespread use of Rev, but nevertheless I was tempted
by the Valentina benchmarks...
Currently I'm working on a project whose main DB
contains 22000 records (5 Mb with indexes) which
should reach 50000 to 70000 records within the next
couple of years... So far with the 22000 records,
requests made via Rev cgi are really fast...

JB