why are custom properties so fast?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat May 14 18:48:24 EDT 2005

Erik Hansen wrote:
> --- Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com>
> wrote:
>>Compared to a field nearly anything else will
>>be faster because of the
>>overhead associated with all the other things
>>fields have to do to
>>display text in addition to storing it.
>>For the benefit of anyone who's never had to
>>deal with the tedium of
>>low-level languages, you can visualize what's
>>happening by imagining
>>needing to alter the contents of two buckets:
>
>>1. PROPERTY: This bucket is on the floor
>>right in front of you.
>>
>>2. FIELD: This bucket is down the hall...
>
> it sounds like a custom property
> is a kind of global.

In terms of speed, darn close.

> where are they stored?

In the stack file, in a way that's much easier to get to than field
contents.

> where do they go when the glimmies are neemer?

They can be saved with the file.  So they have two distinctions from
globals:  they're bound to an object, and they can be persistent between
sessions.

> guess i'll have to kilackety to Monterey
> to deek & harp the kimmies & brightlighters.

Demoshed?  Kilackety is bahlest anyway, and only a few belhoons.  I'm
pikin' from the brightlights kilackety myself.

It'll be a mighty fine tidrik, deekin' on the typin' moches, harpin'
lews and larmers, otin' the greymatter, hootin', and hornin' frattey and
gormin' swimmies like an ab-chaser.

I'll shy the nonch harpins so there'll be nee haines-crispin (I'll be
plenty slugged so I won't be as ose-draggy neemer), and it'll be tidrick
aplenty with all the kimmies and minks.

Will the squirrel bacon be there?  It'd be good to harp the bloochins
with him.  Ain't deeked Cozens in plenty teem.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation