Launch PDF's into Acrobat

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Fri May 13 20:54:26 EDT 2005

We want to thank those like Sarah who made the XML Demo and others for
consolidating and documenting usage of various development areas making
available a variety of related scripts in a single stack. Of course,
there's always ten different ways to do something, but if you don't
know any, having at least one as a model gets you started.

What I need now, and I will start digging the list archives, but
typically I find it in the end challenging to put it all together --
and this may be simple:  We could use the "whole ball of wax" relating
to launching PDF's from revolution into Acrobat reader on any
platform-- actually Mac OS9 and OSX and Windows will suffice. Rather
than repurposing certain kind of material from a print world
environment into a revolution environment, we just want to have a
"rich" Revolution "Library Interface"  that includes access to PDF's
repositories on servers over the internet.

If I understand it correctly the algorithm is something like this

1) check if acrobat exists on users hard drive,
2) if not, inform them to download Acrobat Read and exit
3) Check if Windows registry is properly binding? (I'm not expressing
this well)
4) if not, then write the necessary registry entry.
5) if pre-binding on the different platforms is "good to go" then
simply download the PDF, save it to disk and launch it.

easier said than done. I believe there were-are some additional issues
about launching or booting a file into a program that was already up
and running...

Anyway, this would make a great "recipe" to add to others like XML
Demo... PDF's are here to stay and will continue to be a defacto
standard for data presentation. I think someone must already has this
totally wired and functional. Possibly can all be done in a single
script... if you have it, we would appreciate seeing that.

Sivakatirswami