Using FS, GS, RS and US (was A question about certainASCIIcharacters...)

MisterX b.xavier at internet.lu
Thu May 12 00:12:34 EDT 2005

> I pretty much just switch the itemdelimiter back and forth
> between FS, GS, RS, and US

Lynch,

welcome to object techonology ;)

delimiters... why not put them into separate fields from the start?

I have this kind of hierarchy at work...

domains
  servers
    services
    apps
    logs
    events
      system
      apps
    drives+[mountpoint]
     ShareCategories
      [size]shares[$][owner]
        [size][date]directorys|files[xt]

and in todays context, that's demoted to

forect
  tree
    ad
      location
        domain...

you get the picture... all factored in time...

and backups are another story with backup and storage "classes"
and weeds of objects...

Unfortunately, you can't put the hierarchy server
 into the array hierarchy domain just like that...

One solution I found works great in these cases is
to use a global data storage in memory (xml like). Memory being cheap
today, it's a bonanza. Work in memory, dump to file, show in
bits...

The alternate is keeping full path names in a hierearchy

c:/
c:/files
c:/files/this

but it's not as scalable

and then you start to get into trees...

group of flds...
in a group of cds
in a group of stacks

with words or lines or items in any...

goes crazy after that...

but

if you array is "semantically" compatible to your field naming standard...

myarray[cardname|id,fieldname,field object with obj description of]

object reference in field object of card cardname of stack stackname is

the same...

a property is just next step.

cardobject[controlid,propertyname,propertyvalue]

after it gets hairy and runrev goes slow...

but i think i can manage a bank's data with it if
rev starts to thread...

Reading in between the lines of Kevin's last chat
RunRev might just come out with this soon ...
or make X10 easier - I sure hope so ;)

cheers from Planet TAOO
Xavier
http://monsieurx.com/taoo