bad word checker

Mark Talluto userev at canelasoftware.com
Wed May 11 18:35:16 EDT 2005

On May 11, 2005, at 3:30 PM, Sarah Reichelt wrote:

>> This product is a replacement of snellen projectors.  It is used
>> when you read the letters on the chart.  There are key letters
>> that are expected and others that are not allowed.  Already the
>> software must go through some basic checks.
>>
>> 1.  Certain letters must show up while others can not.
>> 2.  Letters are not allowed to repeat on a given line.
>> 3.  Lines must contain 5 letters (provided the given system can
>> fit that many)
>> 4.  Lines must be completely random to prevent memorization
>> (whether it is accidental or not)
>> 5.  New:  no recognizable words can show up (bad or good)
>>
>> I have found that using a large enough pre-done list that meets
>> the qualifications above will do the job nicely.
>>

> Mark, could you tie this into a spell checker's database? I presume
> spell checkers know how to spell bad words as well as good ones, so
> you could reject any word that is found in the database.

Hi Sarah,

I used a spell checker list from an old MC spell checker program
someone created.  I also got an embarrassingly long list of other
words from a helpful lister that I used to augment the spell checker
list.  If something can be found after all this work, I will shrug
and say "wow....didn't know that one. "  :)

Mark Talluto
--
CANELA Software
http://www.canelasoftware.com