revGoURL and AOL's browser

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Tue May 10 12:54:39 EDT 2005

Recently, Richard Gaskin  wrote:

> One of my Rev-based products uses a variant of RevGoURL to open its HTML
> Help page in the user's default browser.  I have a customer running XP
> who has set his default browser to AOL, and reports that his Help page
> isn't loading as expected.
>
> Have any of you encountered this?  Know of a solution?

Isn't AOL's browser Netscape?

If AOL is using a "modified" version of Netscape that might be an issue.
This might be way off, but before there was a RevGoURL command, I had a
situation where folks had Earthlink as their default browser.  Earthlink's
browser was (at that time) a modified version of IE, and yet the engine
refused to launch URLs.  The only workaround I could find was to check for
the presence of "acceptable" browser entries in the registry (Netscape,
Internet Explorer) and if none was listed, then write a temp file with a
META refresh tag to launch the needed document.  If you don't have this
script, check the mail archives -- I think I posted something along these
lines way back.

Not sure if this helps...

Regards,

Scott Rossi