Table Field Docs?

Peter Reid preid at reidit.co.uk
Tue May 10 12:42:32 EDT 2005

Hi Frank

Thanks for the response.  Unfortunately your recommendations only
work for ordinary fields not table ones.  The problem is that when
you start editing into cells, the field text property is clearly NOT
being used to hold the edited cells.  From other messages on the list
it seems that hidden data structures are used for this.

This is why I'm after some documentation - how to I get at the hidden
data structure to read/write/empty under script control?

>put tableContent into field "Table Field"     -- put data into complete table
>put field "Table Field" into tableContent     -- get complete table data
>
>>- clear a table
>
>put empty into field "Table Field"
>
>>- address individual cells for reading/writing
>
>set the itemDelimiter to tab                                   --
>the lines in a table field have the columns separated by tabs
>
>put 6 into item 5 of line 7 of field "Table Field"   -- row 7, column 5
>put item 3 of line 2 of field "Table Field" into mycell   -- row 2, column 3
>
>>- fix the number of columns when tabbing across
>
>not sure what you mean by this one?
>
>>- have table column headings that scroll as the data table scrolls
>
>Hmm, you could put the headings in another table immediately above
>the one they belong to, set the tabStops the same, eliminate the
>scrollbars, make it non-editable, and put a bit of code in the main
>field ("Table Field") to keep the horizontal scrolling in sync.  I
>did something like this with an experimental stack I had started at
>one point.
>
>Then you could format the other table field however you want.

Yep, I've done this use-another-table-for-the-headings trick but it's
clunky and I hoped that a "spreadsheet like" object might actually
support proper column headings?!

Cheers

Peter
--
Peter Reid
Reid-IT Limited, Loughborough, Leics., UK
E-mail: preid at reidit.co.uk
         preid at reidit.demon.co.uk
Web: http://www.reidit.co.uk
      http://www.reidit.demon.co.uk