MySQL client libraries

Chris Sheffield revlist at cableone.net
Tue May 10 11:00:23 EDT 2005

I have a big problem that I need to figure out ASAP one way or another.

I installed the latest version of MySQL on my Mac OS X Tiger machine
(MySQL version 4.1.11 I believe).  Now my application isn't working.
Upon trying to connect to my database I'm getting an error that says,
"Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server;
consider upgrading MySQL client".  I remember running into this at
one point in the past, but I don't remember if I got around it
somehow or if it was just with the release of Rev 2.5.1 that it was
fixed.

So my first question is, is it possible to update the MySQL client
libraries (dll's, OS X bundles, etc.) that come with Revolution?  Can
they be downloaded somewhere?  If not, does anyone know of a way to
completely uninstall MySQL from OS X and reinstall an older version?
I've tried following the downgrading instructions in the MySQL
manual, and all they say is to just install the older version right
over the top of the newer version, so long as it's the same release
(4.x in this case).  But when I try to do that, the installer tells
me I can't install because a newer version already exists.  Any way
to "trick" the OS X installer into letting me install the older version?

Sorry for the slightly "off-topic-ness" of this post, but I need a
fix fast, and I thought this would be the best place to get one.

Thanks,

Chris Sheffield
Read Naturally