New Image Transparency Demo with Threshold feature..

Derek Bump webmaster at dreamscapesoftware.com
Mon May 9 10:24:14 EDT 2005

Chipp Walters wrote:
> While I understand your sentiment, I disagree with your conclusion. The
> original altTrans script was created for Ken Ray who wanted to use it on
> 32x32 icons, for which it was plenty fast. I also use altConvolve to
> create blur shadows for small buttons in ButtonGagdet. I consider both
> cases to be 'real world.'

My apologies, by 'real world' I meant all image dimensions, not just
icons and thumbnails.

> The demo I created (alluded to in the subject of this email), had a max
> size it could be used. I found it worked fine on all my computers with
> images up to the max size, and never did I see anything close to a 30
> second wait time.

I modified the script and removed the size restriction.  Then I loaded a
photo that was 1024 by 768.  It took just about 30 seconds to complete.

> Again, the algorithm is there for anyone to convert to a C function and
> either 'shell' to, or create an external with.

Could you elaborate on 'shell' to?  Since my experience with compiling C
is proving to be difficult, a way to execute the script from the shell
for faster results would definitely be an alternative.

> As always, if you don't like it, don't use it.

Please understand, it was not my intention to offend.  Your script is
great, as most of your scripts are.  I was just trying to show that
Transcript needs to speed up for (large) image manipulation purposes.

> Regarding the altConvolve fix, thanks for your comment and I'm very
> sorry I didn't get back to you. I only now found it in my email, and it
> does appear you have a good hypothesis on why the external doesn't work.
> Unfortunately, I'm not an external writer-- though I hope to create some
> simple ones soon, with tutorials on how they're done. Perhaps that's a
> good one to start with!

That's OK. :)  I'm going to keep attempting to build the external with
the resources that I have, but if I don't get it to work soon then I'll
be dropping down $150 to have it compiled for me (definitely a loss when
your software is free).

As far as a tutorial on building externals, it would be a wonderful tool
to help with the furtherment of Revolution.  Honestly I'd like to think
the folks at Runtime Revolution are creating a tutorial or walk-through
of some sorts.  The Externals SDK contradicts the "Programming made
easy" feeling that Revolution tries to promote.

Derek Bump
Dreamscape Software