help on adding value in temp variable

graham samuel graham.samuel at wanadoo.fr
Mon May 9 08:29:42 EDT 2005

On Sun, 08 May 2005 08:59:19 -0500, Paul Salyers <ps1 at softseven.org>
wrote:

> I got the above problem fixed, miss directed links.
>
> however I'm now having this problem.
>
> on mouseUp
>    put "+" into
> tFx                                                         -- Store
> the +
> for use later
>    put tFx into field
> "Fx"                                                -- See for sure
> the +
> is being stored
>    put  "1" into field "doWhat"                                     --
> program handler if the text of field "doWhat" = "1" do this else do
> this
>    put field "Answer" into tfkey
>    put value ( field "AddTo") Fx (tfkey) into field "AddTo"  --  Add
> the
> fields together
>
> end mouseUp
>

> of I use
>
> on mouseUp
>    --put "+" into tFx
>    put tFx into field "Fx"
>    put  "1" into field "doWhat"
>    put field "Answer" into tfkey
>    put value ( field "AddTo") + (tfkey) into field "AddTo"
>
> end mouseUp
>

> It works ok. How to I use "tFX" as a "+"

Paul, others have solved the problem indicated in your message, but I
hope I don't cause offence by saying I have feeling from your posts
that there is perhaps another level of problem for you in 'getting' the
Revolution/Transcript context. For example, you seem to be programming
a calculator (what would be the point of using your tFX variable if it
couldn't have different values, such as '+', '-', -'/', '**' ?) but it
is not clear (to me anyway) what the context for this calculator is,
though I half think it's to allow your user to input simple arithmetic
statements via a dialog. If you could explain this some more, maybe
members of the list could suggest a more structured approach which
might be illuminating.

Just my 2 Eurocents

Graham