a little message path issue

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri May 6 18:42:27 EDT 2005

Chris Sheffield wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> Okay, let's see if I can explain this.
>
> I have a group that contains an image as a background and several
> custom buttons placed on the top of it.  The background image has a
> "stick out tab sort of thing" on it's left side.  The idea is to  place
> the group on the right side of the window so that only the tab  is
> showing.  When the user moves the mouse over that tab, I want the  group
> to slide out revealing the buttons.  When the user moves the  mouse out
> of the group, I want it to slide back so that only the tab  is visible
> again.  Okay, so far so good.
>
> So I place mouseEnter (to slide the button panel out) and mouseLeave
> (to slide it back in) handlers in the group's script.  Worked great
> until I placed my buttons in the group.  This is what happens now.  I
> move the cursor over the tab.  The group slides out fine.  But as I
> move up and down over my buttons, mouseEnter and mouseLeave messages
> get sent, including those to the background image, which triggers my
> moving action.  So if I mouseEnter one of my buttons, I mouseLeave my
> background image, which slides the group back.  That's not the  behavior
> I want.  As long as I'm within the group, I want it to be  slid out,
> even as I'm moving up and down over the buttons.
>
> Does that make sense?  Should I be handling different messages  besides
> mouseEnter and mouseLeave?  A mouseWithin perhaps?  I'm kind  of stuck.
> Can someone help?

I'm not sure this will help, but I recently made a very complex nested
group thang with lots of mouse interactions and I now have a rule for
such things:

Whenever you're moving objects with scripts and those objects are within
groups, more often than not you'll do well to set the lockLoc of both
the object and the group.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation