Moodle

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu May 5 17:27:02 EDT 2005

Robert J. Earp wrote:
> Has anybody had any experience with Moodle, the course management system
> (http://moodle.org/).  Can Rev stacks be integrated with it ?

To the degree that it adheres to the common courseware interoperability
standards (SCORM, IMS, AICC), it should be relatively straightforward to
make courseware in any tool to integrate with Moodle.

Some portions of these standards are limited to in-browser delivery, so
of course those are out of the loop for Rev (and most other authoring
systems).

But for anything delivered on CD-ROM over over networks to be run from
its own executable beyond the browser, that's precisely the objective of
these interoperability standards.

Many years ago I build a pair of courses for a corporate client designed
for compliance with AICC (a less popular CMS standard, and its
decreasing relevance is welcome as it was odd for an interop standard to
include so many Microsoft-specific elements).  I made the courseware in
ToolBook, and the CMS was made in VB.  The data transfer mechanisms were
file-based and simple in that spec, and because more recent specs like
IMS make strong use of XML they are in many ways even simpler.

I haven't used Moolde myself, and haven't needed to make CMS
standards-compliant courseware in a long time. But the Moodle docs seem
very extensive and they have an active support community, so hopefully
it won't be hard to learn what's needed for integration.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation