Contributions in languages other than English

Ro Nagey ro at runrev.com
Thu May 5 14:17:58 EDT 2005

On May 4, 2005, at 6:41 PM, Marielle Lange wrote:

> Imagine you are a non-native. How would you feel about publishing
> this on the
> revolution list? Would you dare put a post that consists in a
> babelfish
> translation on a Russian list (assuming you do not know a word of
> Russian)? As
> a native, what is your first impression (you know, the one that
> counts so much)
> of the writer of the babelfish post above?

Actually, having lived in places where English is certainly not the
only language and sometimes not the dominant language, I no longer
fear muddling through as best I can. [Hawai`i, Mexico and, now, Wales]

My experience is that the people on this list will go out of their
way to help anyone - and especially those brave enough to post as
best they can in English. Of course, the newcomer doesn't know this
but hopefully will stay on the list long enough to realize everyone
is here to help.

> It is not a question of politeness, but of self-restraint. Foreign
> speakers will
> usually refrain from contributing until they are confident enough
> about writing
> in English.

This is true - hopefully, we're starting to change that. :)

> Politeness possibly rather recommends a babelfish link to be
> automatically added
> at the bottom of all posts, including the ones in English. ;-)...
> The wiki I use
> (http://revolution.lexicall.org/wiki/) does that, why not copy
> their script? Why
> not also use it on the revolution website?

I like this idea. At least providing a babelfish link in the email is
worthwhile.

Ro

PS Translating my writing into another language and back again is not
fair! Many would claim I don't even write in English in the first
place! ;)

To translate this email into another language, please copy this and
go to <http://babelfish.altavista.com/>

Ro Nagey ~ Evangelist ~ ro at runrev.com
Runtime Revolution - User-Centric Development Tools ~ http://
www.runrev.com/