Update to 2.5 from 2.2????

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Thu May 5 01:31:07 EDT 2005

> To do that, RunRev would have to register at least one signature for
> each customer, which doesn't seem practical. (Signatures aren't
> arbitrary; they're assigned by Apple, and it's a big no-no to roll
> your own because it risks tromping on a legitimate, assigned signature
> that's in use for another application.)

True... but I would guess that of the fraction of people who are
actually filling out the creator code, even a fraction of that actually
register their signatures.

> I think I agree with Jacque - there's no really good way around this.
> I think HC defaulted to using a second creator signature (not
> HyperCard's, but another reserved one), and this may be the best that
> can be done, short of physically not permitting the user to build a
> standalone without entering a signature.

I guess it's all academic short of the developer actually going the
whole 9 yards, but why would this be _better_ than a code generated to
be unique to the developer? Sure it wouldn't be registered with Apple,
but it would avoid conflicting with every other RunRev-made application
out there...

> (I think I'd put up a warning message when someone builds with the
> default signature, though, just for general awareness.)

Yah- awareness of the issue would probably trump a half solution for
those that are affected!

- Brian