Linux/Unix folder paths

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto revolution at jaedworks.com
Thu May 5 00:01:05 EDT 2005

At 9:15 AM +1000 5/5/05, Sarah Reichelt wrote:
>Where so you store preferences? I see that the specialFolderPath()
>function is Windows & Mac only, so how would I know where to store
>preferences on a Linux system?

I'm no guru, but in general, one puts preference files in the user's
home directory ("~"). Traditionally, configuration files ought to
have names that start with a period, such as ".myapplicationrc".

>Where should an application be installed? And what if I want the
>application to be available to a particular user only e.g. on my Mac
>OS X system, I have /Applications for apps that everyone can use and
>/Users/sarah/Applications for apps that only I can use. The second
>is better if I need to write to the application folder as the user
>has write access to that folder even if not an admin user (at least
>I think that is correct).

If there's a "bin" (for "binary") directory in the user's home
directory, you can put it there. Otherwise I'd put it directly in the
homedir, probably.
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ revolution at jaedworks.com
http://www.jaedworks.com