Update to 2.5 from 2.2????

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed May 4 23:17:08 EDT 2005

On 5/4/05 9:08 AM, Frank D. Engel, Jr. wrote:

> Well, technically they are two versions of the same program, and someone
> with only one or the other will want stacks created with the other one
> (the one they don't have) to be opened with what they do have, so it
> makes sense that they would both have the same code.

They could have different creator codes and still open the same file
types (stacks, in this case,) just as lots of different apps with
different creator codes can open text files.

> What is truly troublesome is that so many of the standalones created
> from Rev have not changed the creator code.  Thus double-clicking a
> stack icon can cause that stack to be opened in some oddball standalone
> app you downloaded from somewhere completely different!
>
> And btw, I see this problem on OS X as well.

I don't see an easy solution for this. The standalone builder allows the
developer to set the creator code for OS 9 standalones, and allows a
custom plist for OS X standalones. But if the developer doesn't specify
a unique code in the settings, the builder has to default to something.
Maybe it should default to a code that isn't Rev's, but even so,
everybody's standalones would still have the same one.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com