Linux/Unix folder paths

Marielle Lange M.Lange at ed.ac.uk
Wed May 4 21:26:39 EDT 2005

Hi Sarah,

On where to install applications on macs... the usage is to provide a disk image
with the instruction to drag and drop the software in the /Applications folder,
but to leave the user free to drag and drop the software wherever they want
without it affecting performance in any way. You should be able to get the path
to your application using:

   put the long id of this stack into tPath

(at least that works for uncompiled stacks)

Best,
Marielle

>Where should an application be installed? And what if I want the
>application to be available to a particular user only e.g. on my Mac OS
>X system, I have /Applications for apps that everyone can use and
>/Users/sarah/Applications for apps that only I can use. The second is
>better if I need to write to the application folder as the user has
>write access to that folder even if not an admin user (at least I think
>that is correct).

TIA,
Sarah