No subject

Marielle Lange M.Lange at ed.ac.uk
Tue May 3 18:06:02 EDT 2005

Hi Xavier,

Thanks for this warning. I am aware of this. I have come across some of these
when investigating about how wikis are used in education.

Editing is only allowed for registered users but I still expect random spam to
happen occasionally, like on this wiki:
http://www.jpublish.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=RecentChanges.

The regular backup should help restore things back to normal rapidly. A  paper
on wikis in wired, a few months ago [wired news, wiki becomes a way of life:
http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,66814,00.html] indicates that at
wikipedia the spam get fixed in less than 5 minutes. I cannot promise that of
course, but the perspective of a few hours disruption are nothing compared to
the benefit a wiki could bring to the revolution-education community. I can
always come back to a more secure model (password protected _directory_ access)
if needed.

I regularly have a look at your blogs and forums. My intention was not to create
concurrence, only to create a resource targetting a more specialized public.

You evoked the slahsdot.org model... In fact, the wiki framework I use, tikiwiki
let you add such a news+comments system (the module is installed, I disabled it
on my wiki as well as the blogs -- more info at: http://tikiwiki.org/, open
source, easy to install, easy to manage). Why not also consider RSS feeds? This
would facilitate the rapid exchange of news about revolution on the different
websites.

Marielle,

>Last month, I had a hacker insert half a dozen comments of totally doubtful
>origin into my story's comments - some 900 comments in total! Not good for
>my google ranking... I'd suggest you be aware that html PUT or SEND forms
>can be had for a ride at your expense...

>But i was bolder, i required no registration for comments - too bad for
>me... Fixed now... ;)

>MySQL cleansing was done thanks to RunRev in 5 minutes time thanks also to
>phpmyadmin...

>I'd like to share more openly but there always that user-level-agreement
>thing that is not working ;)

cheers
Xavier
http://monsieurx.com/taoo