OT Anyone using Tiger Yet?

Terry Vogelaar tvogelaar at de-mare.nl
Tue May 3 09:45:22 EDT 2005

Chris Carroll-Davis heeft op dinsdag, 3 mei 2005 om 15:22
(Europe/Amsterdam) het volgende geschreven:

> OT question for techno gurus out there: when
> an installer says "Optimising Disk..." what is it actually doing?
> I'd assumed it was doing stuff like repairing permissions...

Optimising Disk means Updating the Prebinding. Not that I am a techno
guru. I recently saw it on http://www.macdevcenter.com/lpt/a/4400 or
http://www.macdevcenter.com/lpt/a/5825

Sometimes, for some (apparently) inexplicable reason, your computer
slows down to a crawl after you have installed a big application.
In that case, you may want to "update the prebinding." This means
forcing Mac OS X to go through all of the application files and make
sure that they are correctly linked together. The Mac OS X default
installer usually takes care of this by itself, but some third-party
installers may be less cautious.

You can do that manually too. To do this, simply open your Terminal and
type:
sudo update_prebinding -root / -force

Then, enter return, type your password, and enter return again.
Don't worry about the lines of text that will scroll on your Terminal.
This simply means that the command is doing its work.

The whole process should only take a few minutes. However, it will
considerably slow your computer down and for maximum efficiency, you
should not use it at the same time.

Once the command has exited, immediately reboot your computer.

Terry