How to start Rev by shell or startup item in the background under Mac OS X

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Tue May 3 04:28:25 EDT 2005

Le 3 mai 05, à 02:58, Brian Yennie a écrit :

Brian,

> Pierre,
>
> If you just need access to port < 1024, I believe it's possible to
> make root the owner of the application and have access from a GUI
> app... but I doubt the app will run without Cocoa.

Me too and it's all the problem : i don't want GUI at all... The Linux
issues of my Rev apps servers are running lots faster than the Cocoa
GUI binded ones and i suspect that they would be able to run lots
faster under the Darwin platform too in the unix deamon mode. If that
can be done, i will just switch back to linux, in about server-side
stuffs...

> I don't think anything other than the Darwin/CGI engine will run on
> MacOSX if you cannot have Cocoa or XWindows. A while back I talked to
> Tuviah about a custom Darwin engine with database external embedded
> and a fork() command for this specific task but I ended up going a
> different route.

> I'd say your best (and only other option on MacOS) is to use the
> Darwin engine. Note that this is not just for CGIs - it can open
> regular stacks under XWindows. Maybe you could have some sort of
> XWindows stub libraries installed, or set the DISPLAY to something
> null. If you could suppress XWindows, it would probably work.

Never tested Darwin for yet but, as you say, it's a good time to see if
this solution would work.

Many thanks for your helpfull input :-)

Best Regards,

> - Brian
>
>> Unfortunaly, this don't feet the need to be able to start the process
>> in root protected mode with access to a socket port < 1024. In more
>> detailled words, is it a way to start a rev application from the
>> Darwin shell console even if none of Cocoa nor XWindows are launched
>> (darwin single user console mode start up) ?

Bien cordialement, Pierre Sahores

100, rue de Paris
F - 77140 Nemours

psahores+ at +easynet.fr