How to start Rev by shell or startup item in the background under Mac OS X

Frank D. Engel, Jr. fde101 at fjrhome.net
Mon May 2 19:22:30 EDT 2005

Theoretically, you could use the rc scripts in the /etc directory to
start your app; however, there is an issue with this, where upgrades to
the OS can and sometimes do replace these files without asking for
permission.

These files are the 'normal' way to do it with most *NIX platforms, but
Apple warns you *not* to use them for OS X.

The "correct" way to do this with Mac OS X is to place things in
/Library/StartupItems.

For more details on how to write StartupItems, see this page:

http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/10/21/startup.html

StartupItems are launched after the GUI is started, but before the
login window appears (or the user is logged in automatically, if the
machine is insecurely configured to not display a login window).  They
are indeed run as root, and are not supposed to be graphical in nature
(they should be faceless background processes -- what UNIX calls
daemons and Windows calls "services"...