about Rev XML libs and XSLT files...

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Mon May 2 13:09:30 EDT 2005

--- Sivakatirswami <katir at hindu.org> wrote:
> On Apr 30, 2005, at 1:27 PM, Andre Garzia wrote:
>
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > trying not to reinvent the wheel here, can RevXML
> library transform a
> > given XML using a XSLT file or I'll have to write
> code for that (or
> > maybe shell to some tool who can..)
> >
> > cheers
> > andre
> >

> I'm wondering where you would need this, since most
> browsers to the job
> already as a matter of course...
>
> Sivakatirswami

One reason to do it within your application is data
security : if you display the XML in a browser, and
refer to an XSL, you can hide certain data -- but if
the user picks 'View the source' in his browser menus,
he can see the entire XML file.
Another reason to include XSL support is that it
allows for context-management server applications: the
programmer just delivers the XML, and the CGI-script
(or Rev-built web-server) applies an XSL
transformation to deliver for GPRS, WAP, PDA,...
Yes it's more work for your server or your application
if it's done beforehand, but it has its advantages.

Jan Schenkel.

Quartam - Tools for Revolution
<http://www.quartam.com>

=====