Split screen output for Presentations

Dan Soneson sonesond1 at southernct.edu
Mon May 2 08:23:45 EDT 2005

Sivakatirswami

Here's what you can do:

You need to have a computer that can support a second monitor as an
extension of the computer's monitor. On the mac side, only the
professional line (PowerBook, G5 tower) has this function built in. You
cannot make this work with an iBook, an eMac or an iMac AFAIK. On the
Windows platform, most laptops now have this functionality. You set the
monitor size and location of the extended screen in the display pane of
the system preferences panel on Mac OSX, and in the display settings
utility in Windows.

Create two stacks, one for the user's computer and one for the
projector. Set the location of the projector stack to the location of
the "second monitor" You then control the projector stack from the
computer monitor stack. You could set up notes for each screen of the
presentation, perhaps a "thumbnail" image of what is being projected,
and navigation buttons to go to the next or previous screens. You could
have each card in the display stack correspond to a specific card in
the "control" stack. Then in your "next" button, for example, have two
lines:

on mouseUp
   go next cd
   go next cd of stack "display Stack"
end mouseUp

Unfortunately, you need access to a second monitor or projector when
developing the stack, or a nice large cinema display in order to see
both stacks at once.

HTH
Dan

> Oops I think I actually forgot to ask my question:
>
> How do you do this in Revolution:
>

>> Keynote can output one window to the channel that goes out to the
>> projector -- > video port. i.e. it shows on the screen. and the second
>> window is locked onto the personal PC's LCD screen, where the latter
>> window has notes for the presentor which are not seen by the audience
>> who are watching output to the project --> large display screen in the
>> front of the hall.

Daniel B. Soneson
Director, Language Lab
Southern CT State University