Prevent someone from dragging a toplevel window, or...

Terry Judd tsj at unimelb.edu.au
Sun May 1 20:35:06 EDT 2005

> From: Ken Ray <kray at sonsothunder.com>
> Date: 2 May 2005 8:47:13 AM
> To: Use Revolution List <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
> Subject: Re: Prevent someone from dragging a toplevel window, or...
>>

> Well... it can; what I'm trying to simulate is the "customize toolbar"
> sheet
> that drops down from a toolbar. Since sheets always drop from the
> tilebar of
> a stack, I couldn't "just" use a sheet (since I need it to drop from
> the
> toolbar, and not from the titlebar). However I've been able to
> simulate it
> by creating a 1 pixel high palette that is positioned below my toolbar
> and
> drops the sheet. But unfortunately, if you drag the "main" stack (the
> one
> with the toolbar), the sheet doesn't follow like it's supposed to
> (since
> it's not attached to the main stack, but to the palette). So
> unfortunately I
> can't use a drawer in this case...
>
> Good idea, though.
>
> If I can't get the two to drag together, I'd be willing to make the
> main
> stack undraggable while the "customize toolbar" sheet is displayed.
> But how
> can you prevent a stack from being moved?
>
> And unfortunately I don't have control over the stack that the
> toolbar's
> attached to (so I can't use a custom window/custom drag region).
>
> Is there anything left that I can do?

Descending into the realm of horrible hacks here but is is possible to
overlay a window that has its transparency set way down (using Trevor's
external) and which lies directly over the stacks titlebar and then
using a custom 'drag' script in the transparent window to move the
underlying and any other windows.

Terry...

> Ken Ray
> Sons of Thunder Software
> Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/
> Email: kray at sonsothunder.com

Dr Terry Judd
Lecturer in Educational Technology (Design)
Biomedical Multimedia Unit
Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry & Health Sciences
The University of Melbourne
Parkville VIC 3052
AUSTRALIA