Speech in standalone - help!

Chris Carroll-Davis chris at carroll-davis.co.uk
Thu Mar 31 10:53:38 EST 2005

Hello all -

Has anyone got experience with using text-to-speech?

I need some advice on how to get speech working in a standalone app.
I'm working on a (for me) big video script-writing utility that I want
to feature a preview facility using text-to-speech.  (OS X only)

Now... speech works easily in development version running with Rev, but
when I build a standalone, it fails.

Here is a simple rev stack with one button and one field:
www.chriscd.dsl.pipex.com/Speech_test.zip

The development stack works fine.

The OS X app doesn't work.  I *did* select speech as an option in
standalone maker, but no external resources seem to be copied over.  I
note that on the Windows side, "revspeech.dll" gets copied to
destination.  Should there not be some kind of OS X equivalent
(presumably, "revspeech.bundle" ?)  I tried manually copying this file
to the application root, but still nothing.  What am I doing wrong?

Strangely, on the actual large project that I'm working on, I can get
the standalone to work (this bit of code from list seemed to do the
trick...)

on enableLibraries
    put the fileName of this stack into tFile
    set the itemDel to "/"
    delete last item of tFile
    set the externals of this stack to tFile &
"/power_res/revspeech.bundle"
end enableLibraries

(I manually copied "revspeech.bundle" into my "power_res" folder.)

  BUT IT ONLY WORKS ONLY ON MY MACHINE!!

Help!!!  I really can't see what I'm supposed to do to sort this out.
I need to get this working urgently.

It would be great if someone could tell me how to get this simple test
working, then I can apply that to the main project.  Do you think this
is something I'm doing wrong, or is a bug in Rev?  Or is there some
undocumented procedure I need to perform to get it functioning!?

I included the Windows version in zip file too, as this also fails -
but I don't need Windows (XP) version just yet.  I'm hoping that
whatever I need to do with OS X will also cure it for Windows!

Appreciate any help you can give me!

Chris